Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

It Begins (Wayward Saga)

In an abandoned warehouse, two very different men find themselves inexplicably trapped together.

Ira: *sidles over to him* Aw, hi. Thank god there's someone else here. I was beginning to wonder what I was gonna do.

Garret: *looks over the taller man with an evaluating eye* Hello. And now that you're not alone? *he narrows his eyes, a little caution in his body language, like trust is something he's had issues with before*

Ira: *nearly opposite, with very loose, easy body language he draws in, perhaps a little too close for other people's comfort levels and smiles easily* Aw, yea, you know. *waves a limp hand at the dusty warehouse* Not exactly a real inviting place, is it? I just found myself here. Like...bam! Just...*a hefty shrug* standing here, man.

Garret: *didn't want to admit he just appeared in much the same manner* Well, it -seems- we have something in common then. *any suspicions he has about the other man have shifted slightly to the vacant space they now share* Any idea how or why we're here? *if this was a kidnapping, they nabbed the wrong man in Garret's case*

Ira: *chuckles weakly, in a half-nervous manner* Well, I didn't walk in through the door. I was about to ask Nicole for her number, and then... well, yeah, I said that already. As for why... *trails off, a half-amused smile on his lean face*

Garret: *raises an eyebrow at the other man's story. He has no idea who this Nicole person is, or was, and it isn't important anyways* Well, I didn't just walk in either. *again, something the other man said causes him to narrow his eyes* Something amusing about why we're here? What are you not saying? *could this man have brought him here for something? Why? That was still the question*

Ira: Hrm? *looks over at him, eyebrows quirked* Amusing about why we're here? Well, it's all pretty strange, I'd say. I can't speak for you...but, hey, maybe I slipped up.

Garret: *takes a step or two away from the other man* It's not just this place or the circumstances that are strange. *scans for a door or window near by. Maybe he can recognize where they are if he sees outside.* Slipped up? What do you mean, and who are you anyways?

Ira: Aw, sorry. I'm Ira. Ira Belande. *watches him as he starts poking around the empty space. Shifts into a shaft of dust-filled sunlight from one of the overhead skylights* I dunno, slipped up... got caught, got seen by the wrong person. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done something that mighta grabbed the wrong sort of attention.

Garret: *keeps one eye on Ira as he pokes around* So, you're a criminal huh? Well that might explain why someone would grab you, but not me. I haven't broken any laws. *finds a dusty coated window but it's too high up and there seems to be nothing to stand on*

Ira: *spreads his hands* Oh, hey now, criminal? Do I look like a law-breaker? *grins his best and spreads his long arms out* I didn't mean it to sound like that. But what about you? Can't think of any reason someone might take any special interest in you?

Garret: *takes his eyes off the window to look straight at Ira, confused even more now* If you're not a criminal, then what was all that about being seen and getting caught? *walks back towards Ira, this guy knows more than he saying and it's starting to annoy him* Don't change the subject. What are you hiding? *Garret's sweating, getting warmer the more frustrated he gets*

Ira: *open, pleasant expression grow more serious the closer Garret gets* Hey, pal, don't get excited. I'm not hiding anything... *narrows his eyes defensively, his lanky hands twitching at his sides* I can... y'know, get under people's skin sometimes. It's best if they don't come looking for trouble. I don't like fighting, alright? So, it doesn't mean you're breaking the law, trying to lay low...

Garret: *Ira is definitely getting under his skin* Trouble seems to find you huh? Well, whatever you did this time got me dragged along for the ride, and I wanna know why. *stops, just out of swinging range from Ira, just in case. He doesn't like fighting either, though he won't let the subject drop either*

Ira: Hey! Hey, you think I know? I dunno, I been here twenty minutes. Didn't friggin' disappear out of here again, so I figure there's a reason why. Stands to reason, I'm gonna think through what's been going on and try to find an answer, alright? I can't answer for you, but my life's been so shit messed lately I ain't even surprised at being plopped in who-the-hell-knows-where. How loopy's that? I ain't even surprised. *frowns thoughtfully to himself, scratching at his earlobe*

Garret: *grumbles under his breath, but gives Ira the benefit of the doubt for the moment, since he seems legitimately confused as well* Well, sorry, but this whole thing has got me on edge. I don't know one damn reason I'd be dropped in some abandoned warehouse with a complete stranger. *sighs, letting his anger slip away, but not the frustration* The name’s Garret, for what it's worth. *he mumbles walking back towards the window and follows the wall a few more feet*

Ira: Garret, eh? Well, nice to meet you, I hope. *lets the matter drop instantly, like water off a duck* Still, though... You don't have any idea why someone might want to take you? *approaches him with wide, hopeful eyes* Nothing weird, nothing special? nothing...iunno, different from the rest of the folk you know? Y'know, some talent? Special skills? Knowledge?

Garret: *turns on a dime, a look of shock on his face then quickly hidden with narrowed eyes and a smirk of distaste* Like I said, I have -no- idea why anyone would want to kidnap me. I'm not rich, or influential, just a working stiff, nothing more. *takes a deep breath and holds it for a few seconds longer than normal before exhaling* I'm a nobody.

Ira: Oh. Well...shit. *turns and stuffs his hands in his pockets, and scuffs his sneaker into the floor.* Well, I don't even know then. I'd thought, you know, maybe we'd have some common denominator, y'know, like in thriller flicks... *sighs, and then sits down on a crate only to hear a sneeze emanate from it* Shit! *leaps to his feet and wheels* Shit...Garret, man...something's in my crate, man....

Garret: *wheels on Ira's location, staring past the man to the crate he had sat upon* Back away from it, slowly. *starts toward the crate cautiously* Whoever, or whatever you are, come out now! *he directs at the sneezing crate, hoping whatever it is understands English. After all, they could be anywhere*

Ira: Yeah! Why are you hiding in some dingy old crate, anyway? *shakes a fist at it from behind Garret* I mean, hell man, you nearly gave me a heart attack! After all we'd been talking and stuff, and you don't even say anything?

(Crate): ...Believe me... I'd rather not be sitting in this crate. But, circumstances being as they are, I'd rather not come out. *a lady's voice, weary and middling in tone* As for not saying anything... Well, I wasn't planning on making my presence known.

Garret: Whatever you were hoping to learn by spying, you won't get now. *approached the crate and rustles it a bit* If you know anything about where we are or why we're here, you best make with the answers. I'm not the most patient of people when stressed. *the air around Garret seems to grow thinner, making it more difficult to breathe. Though Garret himself seems unaffected*

Ira: *backs away from Garret, who he'd been crowding again and shakes himself, a puzzled frown forming on his face, and for once doesn't say anything, but stands and watches avidly*

(Crate): Oh, hey now, don't get rough... *a shift as the person inside the crate moves away from the front latch* I heard you guys talking, and I don't have anything new to offer. Same thing happened to me. I was sitting at home, in my bathtub and all of a sudden I'm here in the warehouse, dripping wet. I tried to get out, and couldn't, tried to find something to wear, and couldn't. Okay? I don't have any clothes. *awkward silence*

Garret: *stops fussing with the crate and takes a step back* Oh. *his face flushes just a little* I... didn't know. I'm sorry, it's just... well... I guess you know. *takes off his shirt, having a t-shirt on underneath and puts it near the front of the crate, then looks to Ira, since the shirt can only cover so much* Do you have anything she could cover up with?

Ira: *blinks* Uh... *takes off his coat* I mean, it's a double top, but... I don't think my taking off my pants would really correct the issue of pantslessness, y'know? *hands his coat over to Garret and clears his throat*

(Crate): *sighs* Guys, thanks and all... but that's only half of the problem. Just covering up won't do me much good... I've got a skin condition.

Garret: *holding the coat* Maybe if you tie one of them around your waist or... *pauses* Skin condition? What do you mean? *suspicion creeps into his voice again. Things are just not adding up.*

Ira: Oh, hey, that's alright. My sister's got these big ol' birthmarks all over her face and body and stuff. All purple. I don't mind. You can use my coat. I'm a pretty tall guy, it should cover a bunch of you. *smiles at the crate, even though the girl can't see him* So, come on out, we won't hurt you.

(Crate): Yeah, a skin condition, okay? *a tad edgy* It's exacerbated by getting cold, which I am. Anyways, I don't think you've seen a skin condition quite like mine, Mr. Belande.

Garret: *drops the coat with the shirt* Well, skin condition or not, if it gets worse when you're cold, then you can at least cover up. No sense in dying of cold. *turns his back on the crate and urges Ira to do the same* We won't look. *glares at Ira* Neither of us.

Ira: Oh, yeah, a'course. *shuffles about to face the other way* See, we aren't looking. *holds his hands up as if he's being arrested*

(Crate): Don't say I didn't warn you... *a creak as the latch on the crate opens. a muffled sound as she tries to arrange the two offered pieces of clothing to cover as much of her as possible, pulling her hair down over her cheeks as best she can, finally clears her throat* Thanks. *a girl with brown hair stands there, tawny-coloured skin, with flaky-scale-like ridges all down the sides of her face and neck, completely covering her feet and hands where they stick out of the bundle of men's clothing*

Garret: *turns around and has not idea what he's looking at. He was expecting birthmarks, burns, excessive tattoos, dry-flaky skin, something other than what he was seeing* Uh... you're... welcome. *he utters, knowing he's staring but unable to stop himself* Umm.. yeah. *shakes his head to stop himself from staring, he looks off into the distance* You said you couldn't find a door huh? *flustered*

Ira: *turns too and smiles, enjoying looking at the scaly skin* Oh hey now, that's kinda pretty. I had a lizard once with skin like that. I always liked it. *tactless 5* What's yer name?

Taryn: Uh, thanks, I think... *eyes him confusedly and then looks at Garret* I'm Taryn. And no, I couldn't find a door, or at least not something that opened. There's a metal seam on one wall that looks like it was welded shut. *shrugs into the clothes, trying to warm up* I've been here for over an hour now, as far as I can tell.

Garret: *nods, still a little uncomfortable with Taryn being scaly, which strikes him as really odd.* Okay... so we're sealed in. Three strangers who apparently have nothing in common. The question is still why? *turns, avoiding eye contact with Taryn now, though he seems really puzzled by Ira's reaction*

Ira: *clearly excited* Hey, Taryn, how long has your skin been like that? And what do you mean, it gets worse when you get cold? *drawing closer to her, and again breaching personal space*

Taryn: *narrows her eyes further at him, hunching into the green coat Ira had offered, and unaware of the fact that her hair has started going mossy green around the edges* I dunno, it's been getting steadily worse over the last couple of years. And when I say worse, I mean it gets hard like this; when I'm warm enough my skin looks pretty normal... Why? *defensive note in her voice again*

Garret: *seems to be ignoring the conversation subject and talking more to himself now than the other two* What is the purpose of this? Some sort of reality TV show? A social experiment? Some sadistic game? It makes no sense. None of it. *grumbles and starts pacing at random, dust kicking up into the air in little dust-devils, stirred by an unseen current*

Ira: *blinks* Hey...Taryn... Your hair...turned green. In fact, your whole face is looking a little green... *grins suddenly* Oh, oh, man, that's so cool! I'm so happy to meet you! You have no idea how nice it is to meet another who's not trying to kill me! *moves even closer to her, his hands fidgeting like he wants to touch her.*

Taryn: *tries to shuffle around him on her hard scaly feet* Uh, Garret.... *clearly a little perturbed by Ira's attentions* Garret, what are you saying? Some experiment? What experiment? *voice nearly cracking*

Garret: *only half hears Taryn, he's too busy trying to rationalize an irrational situation* It might not be an experiment. *he scratches at the stubble on his chin, a few days growth it would seem* I'm thinking out loud. There -has- to be a reason. *he runs his hand through his dirty blond hair, and physically sags. He turns back to the others, a sudden but brief breeze accompanying him* Ira... take a step back, you're freaking her out. *can tell she's uncomfortable, though he still won't look at Taryn for any length of time*

Ira: *grins sheepishly* Sorry, man... I told you I get under people's skin... And Sorry, Taryn... I don't mean anything by it. I just think your 'Skin Condition' is pretty damn neat. You ain't the only one a little off, 'S all I can say. *smiles happily at them both and relaxes as if all the answers have been handed to him*

Taryn: *draws up near Garret, watching him closely, and a little jilted that he can't seem to look her in the face* I'm sure there's a reason. I'm more concerned about the how, not the why. How did we get here? If we're sealed in... people can't just 'appear'. And who knows how far away we are from where we started. I mean I live over in Enderby. Where were you two when you got taken? And why the gaps of time between each of us arriving?

Garret: I'm curious about the how as well. As far as I know, teleportation is still science fiction. Emphasis on the fiction. But we're already here, so the how can't really be changed. The why could still, logically, be altered if we knew what any common denominator is. *shakes his head, there seems to be no logic to any of this* I was on my way home from work. Last I remember I was putting my things in the back seat of the car and then... *he snaps his fingers* ... I was here.

Ira: Oh, there are ways of Teleportation that don't require a machine, friend... I've seen it. *nods emphatically* Enderby? Where's that? I was in a bar in New Brock when I went poof. It was night-time too, and we've got sun shining here.

Taryn: *snorts* Enderby isn't close to New Brock, how about I put it that way? *shakes her head, which is now thoroughly green like the coat, as are her hands clutching it. Her feet remain brown like the ground she's walking on* I'm assuming wherever you work isn't in New Brock or Enderby, am I right? *tilts her head to again try to look him in the eye* Hey?

Garret: *shakes his head* Arden. And no, as far as I know there is nowhere named Enderby or New Brock anywhere near it. *forces himself to make eye contact with Taryn, though when he does he can't really hide his shock at finding her blending in with the coat and ground like some sort of human chameleon*

Ira: *sidles closer to them again, leaning in towards Garret* So..... what aren't you telling us? *convinced and triumphant look on his face* Because this is starting to look miiiighty familiar to me, this whole ruse. *grins* Man, haven't you guys read Adventures of the Mysterious Five? Granted, there's only -three- of us, but it starts totally like this.... *scratches at his earlobe thoughtfully and squints up at the skylights again*

Taryn: Adventures of the what? Oh god, you're like some convention geek, aren't you? Great. Just great. *hunches further into her borrowed clothes and scowls* What exactly is your theory huh? That we've all been gathered here because we're supposed to dress up in spandex and save the world? Give me a break, romantico. More likely we've been drugged and woke up here, as part of some government experiment on human mutation. Jeeze! I wasn't always this way! Who's to say they haven't done something to me, and now they're bringing me back for testing...like a...a...lab rat! *begins to fully panic*

Garret: *still has no idea what Ira is hinting at* No, I honestly have no idea why I'm here. What the hell is the Mysterious Five and just what are you insinuating anyways? *he's starting to flush again and the air thins again, but returns to normal at Taryn's outburst* Spandex? Mutation? Lab rat? Can -someone please- explain what you both are talking about!?

Ira: The Mysterious Five are like the best comic hero troupe EVER! Gilgamesh and Raven and The Spear? Aw, come on! They all had different abilities, and the Cloak brought them together to teach them how to control their powers and use them for good. God knows I can't control mine, so where's my Cloak, huh? I wanna see the man behind the curtain. *rotates looking up at the windows* He could be watching us right now!

Taryn: Ira... you're really freaking me out, okay? I don't know what's wrong with you... But this...this skin of mine isn't any -use- to anyone, okay? If someone levelled a gun at me I'd go down just as fast as the next broad. I'm not hero material... I'm a freelance columnist... I'm...not even supposed to be here right now.... *frowns and sits down on the floor, adjusting her upside-down t-shirt pants and crossing her legs.*

Garret: *still has no idea what is going on, and no one seems to want to explain anything to him. He drops to the ground, sitting and staring at the dirt as he tries to get control of himself and rationalize again.* Ira thinks we all have superpowers. Taryn apparently doesn't disagree. But I don't have any. Superpowers don't exist. It's all science fiction, isn't it? *he's mumbling to himself something seems to have snapped in him and he's not coping well*

Ira: *saunters over to Garret and leans over his shoulder, lowering a hand to his skin, but not quite touching him, a strong magnetic pull tickling his skin, so close he can almost taste it..." Oh man, I'm –made- out of science fiction. I'd show you, but I kind of need another person to do it. *grins at him* And I don't think you'd like how it feels if I did it to you.

Taryn: *scrambles to her knees in preparation to running* Woah, no! No, Ira, no using abilities on each other! We're the only ones we can rely on right now, okay? There's no body else to help us, so don't start messing with us... I'm freaked out enough as it is, and I don't want you doing anything weird to me! I'm sure Garret doesn't want that either... right, Garret? *touches his hand with her scaly one, which has reverted to a somewhat Caucasian tan without having been touching anything for a little while, and tries to keep him focusing on something cerebral at hand*

Garret: *jerks his hand away and scrambles further from Ira and his creepy vibe.* Don't touch me! *he bursts out, fear in his eyes* Just... just stay away... *a strong draft of air seems to burst from nowhere, not strong enough to do anything except blow their hair and clothing a little, but still* I'm freaked out enough as is... *calms slightly, looking to Taryn he lowers his head* Sorry...

Ira: *feels his hair settle and his cocked smile widens and he shoves his hands back in his pockets* Coooool, man. Alright, take your time, calm down. I'm gonna see if I can't... Get a look up there... *points to the skylights and wanders a bit away to try and grab one of the ropes hanging from the beams.*

Taryn: Garret... you, uh...you alright? *brushes her hair back down after having had it mussed by Garret's burst of wind.* I'm sorry I touched you like that... I know that it doesn't feel very nice... *rubs at the rough palms of her hands, that warm dry pattern of scales, and hunches up into sitting once more, gazing over to the crate and feeling a childish twinge of desire to crawl back in again*

Garret: *shaking, still having no idea that all the little air anomalies are his doing. He honestly does not know.* It's... it's okay. I'm just really freaked out. My world is being turned upside down by someone or something for god-knows-why. *turns his back to both of them, breathing hard, in and out. Deep, too deep, breaths. Under the upper edge of his shirt, it appears gill like appendages flare with each breath.* I'm not like either of you. I have no "super human" abilities, useless or otherwise. It's a lot to comprehend. I'm sorry I overreacted. *sags and slows his breathing. The gills like appendages close and virtually disappear in the process*

Taryn: *blinks at the gills and swallows, not afraid of them, but unsure of whether or not she should inform Garret that he's a lot more like them than he thinks* Uhm, Garret... Do you think, you might be different? Maybe not like we are but in your own way...? Maybe you just haven't noticed it quite yet? Like...er...the wind that happened just now without any open windows. Has...that ever happened to you before?

Garret: *blinks and furls his brow, turning with a confused look on his face* What wind? I didn't feel a breeze. *stops to think, nothing coming to mind about odd things happening to him or anything. Not that he can recall at least* Different? No. I mean, everyone is different, but I'm not superhuman or anything. Do you think this is a mistake? *hope springs into is features at the thought maybe he isn't supposed to be here. But then fades as he remembers there is no one to let him out, let alone admit they made a mistake in grabbing him*

*a bump and an oof as Ira swings himself on a rope right into one of the warehouse' pillars*

Taryn: Uhm, Garret... Humour me for just a second. How long can you...er, hold your breath? Like, take a deep breath and just fold it. I'll count for you, if you like... *smiles tentatively and watches his neck*

Garret: Humour you? *sighs* Fine, but only to help prove I'm nothing special, like the pair of you. *inhales as normal, but keeps inhaling for a few extra seconds like it's normal. About halfway through the inhalation, the gill-like appendages on his shoulders flare open a crack. He then begins to hold his breath for an unnaturally long time. Then he exhales* There, happy?

Taryn: *points to the gill-things on his shoulders before the seal up again* Garret, Garret, normal people don't have those.

Garret: Have what? *he tries to look but their in a position he can't see, and once more seal up once he's exhaled fully* What are you talking about? *glances over to Ira* Did you see anything?
Ira: *dusts himself off* Through the window? No, I'm not strong enough to pull myself up the rope that far. *saunters back over* What'd I miss?

Taryn: Garret you have these.... 'Gills' that...open up and breathe... I don't know how to say it... *Looks up to Ira to see his reaction.

Ira: Woah! Like Atlantis of the Mysterious Five? Are you a water-breather? *grins and squats down peering at Garret's jaws intently as if they'll just open up right there*

Taryn: No, no, not like that... like...they breathe -air- and breathe for him when he's not breathing.

Garret: *shakes his head, ignoring what Taryn is saying because it can't be true, he'd know. Something like that is something you'd notice isn't it. Though, he did have asthma as a kid and outgrew it. And he'd never had any issues breathing at higher altitudes, but no, that's normal stuff* No, you must be seeing things. *in denial*

Ira: Sure, if she's seeing things, I won't see whatever she saw, right? Go, give it another go! I'll watch real closely.

Taryn: Why would I make it up? Besides, normal people can't hold their breathe that long, Garret, not even Olympic swimmers can hold their breaths like that. Their brains would black out.

Garret: *still shaking his head* No... no, I'll prove it. Ira, watch, you won't see anything. *he takes a nice deep breath and again the gill-like appendages on the back of his shoulders, near the base of his neck flare just a little. He exhales and smiles nervously* See, nothing strange right? *his voice carries and edge of fear. Fear he might be more like them than he knew and therefore -is- here for a reason*

Ira: *eyes nearly bug out of his head* Dude! That was so cool! They're SEAMLESS. Like, I can't even see them anymore now that you're breathing normal again... *and Ira, in his excitement forgets and full-on touches Garret's skin right where the gills were. His hand sinks into the flesh around Garret's gills and he starts to be drawn in, taking all of his strength and will power to tear himself away from the other man, like trying to pry apart two magnets.* Guh! Ow...ow.... *sits dishevelled on the ground where he landed, nursing his hand* Aw, I -hate- when I DO that...

Garret: *leaps away from Ira* DUDE! What the FUCK!? *stays as far away from Ira as possible, completely forgetting what the man said about Taryn's accusation being true* What did you do to me!? *shaking with a combination of fear and rage. Air all around Garret starts to stir a whirl like the beginnings of a tornado*

Ira: Hey, man, that hurt me more than it hurt you, I'll bet! You should be grateful I didn't let myself sink all the way in! 'Sides, I -told- you I get under people's skin... *snorts a nervous chuckle, watching the air around garret grow disturbed* Hey gill-boy...calm down...No harm, no foul....

Taryn: Will both of you just cool it!! Sit down! Ira, stop touching people! Garret...stop...er...Well, not stop -breathing- but stop...gill-breathing...or whatever it is, and just calm down. Both of you? Please? I'm getting a headache.

Garret: *still freaked out, but starts to calm himself and thus the tempest of air calms as well* Just... just don't -ever- do that again. *glares at Ira, not wanting to know what would happen if he sank all the way in* Sorry. *as he calms, it finally sinks in to him that Ira confirmed what Taryn said about the gills. A look of shock crosses his face and freezes there*

Ira: See, there, good. *nods and sits, careful to tuck his hands into his own pockets* So, common denominator, check! Evil culprit for 200, anyone?

Taryn: *glares at him, then glances at Garret* You doing okay? I mean, it's hard at first...but you'll get used to it... I mean, sometimes it’s harder than others... But, I'm coping alright... *extends her hands, which are smoothing out some, now that she's warming up again*

Garret: *just nods* I... I had no idea... really. *denial leads to acceptance*

Ira: Welcome to the freaky side. Now what? Any ideas?

Taryn: *glares at Ira again, shaking her head* Thanks, romantico. And no, we haven't learned anything new about how we got to be here or who brought us here. All we know is that we're each...different.

Garret: *snorts* I'll say we're different.

Ira: It's pretty friggin’ sweet, in my opinion! You could blow evil away, man! *makes elaborate hand gestures illustrating evil baddies being scattered in the gusts*

Taryn: *shakes head* Oh brother. And what about me? I blend in with evil? Wuh-hoo.

Garret: *stares at Ira with a mixture of annoyance and pity* You're really getting a kick out of this aren't you? You like being abducted by god knows who? "Superpowers" or not, this isn't a joking matter. *sighs, shaking his head at Ira's reactions*

Ira: Well, god yah! I mean, the future is here! I'm just glad to be able to talk with other people like me...or, well, equally unlike everyone else, y'know? How can you not be excited? *grins happily, standing akimbo*

Taryn: Yeah, great... But you do realize we're still stuck in a dingy, empty warehouse with no way out, right? Am I the only one who's hungry?

Garret: *is getting more and more frustrated with Ira as time goes by* Excited? Taryn's right, we're trapped in a prison of a warehouse. How could I possible be anything but scared? *he was hungry, but with everything that’s gone on, he lost his appetite*

*there's a little "pop" sound and a high pitched squeal from the far end of the warehouse*

Ira: Hellllooooo? *wheels about and starts walking towards it, totally at a disregard to his own safety* Anybody there?

Taryn: Ira! What are you doing? You're going to get yourself killed, you git!! *scrambles to keep him in her sight, but -wisely- doesn't advance too close*

Garret: *visible startles and then reaches to grab Ira, pulling back at the last second, remembering Ira's creepy power* Ira, for Christ’s sake, get back here. *advances slowly as well*
*as Ira draws closer, he sees a form scramble until it's up against the wall, trying unsuccessfully to hide* Stay.... stay away from me! *a little voice cries out in fear*

Ira: Woah, hey now... s'okay, miss... We're in the same boat here. I know you're gonna be confused, but just take a moment to calm down. We won't hurt you... *advances in a slouch to look a little less imposing, instead he just sort of bobbles comically on bent knees*

Taryn: Are you... Did you bring us here? *sounding doubtful, and frowning, Taryn pulls up, worrying for danger and at the same time not wanting to startle the girl with the vestiges of her scales*

(Girl): I said stay away from me! *repeats in one of the quietest screams any of them have heard before* I don't know who any of you are, but I know you need to stay back!

Garret: *pauses* Alright miss... I'm staying put. And the others will keep there distance too, won't you, IRA?

Ira: Why? You got some crazy abilities that'll hurt me? If so, fine, I'll stay put. But if you're just scared, or you got a skin condition too, I'm not phased. *smiles kindly, albeit tactlessly*

Taryn: Oh, Jesus. *shakes her head* Will you tell us -why- we should stay back? And hey, you didn't answer my question!

(Girl) *shoots a glance to Taryn, a little freckled face framed by mousy brown hair and full of fear* No. No I don't even know where ‘here’ is. *looks to Ira* Abilities? *looks even more frightened* How did you know about my abilities? *she seems to be faintly glowing currently*

Garret: We won't hurt you miss. We just got dumped here too. Apparently we all have powers. *still not fully convinced he does have powers* Do you remember anything from before you ended up here?

(Girl): *shakes her head no to Garret's question but doesn't say anything*

Ira: You're glowing...did you know that? *smiles helpfully* It's kinda pretty. What's your name? *stands back a step or two, and shoves his hands back into his pockets*

Taryn: Here's a warehouse with no door in or out. We seem to have been teleported from all over the place. I'll let you get yourself sorted, but when you're ready come talk to us, okay? You might have some information that could help us figure out why we're here and where this warehouse is located. *steps back and pads back to where they were before and sits down*

(Girl): *sitting in the corner glowing faintly, hugging her own knees close to her chest and on the verge of sobbing* Lisette. *she manages to say at just a little louder than a whisper* And yes... I know I'm glowing. If it gets too bright, run. *sob* Or at least cover your ears and close your eyes.

Garret: *retreats with Taryn, no longer quite as creeped out by her now* Okay Lisette, we'll be here when and if you want to talk. *takes note of her warning just in case*

Ira: Oh, that sounds bad. Anything I can do to help? *doesn't move from his spot but looks over to her with a big-eyed expression, somewhat more serious than usual* Does...it hurt?

Taryn: *speaking aside to Garret* How many more of us are gonna show up? I kinda want some answers, y'know?

Garret: *nods* I wish I knew. *looks back to the newcomer* At least she knows about her abilities it would seem. Enough to warn us at least.

Lisette: *shakes her head* Just leave me alone for a minute. I don't know who any of you are, how I got here or anything. It's a little stressful. *sobs and the glow brightens a little* Let me breathe...

Ira: Oh, sure. Sorry 'bout that... I tend to get under people's skins a bit... *ruffles at his hair* er...I'll just...*steps back gingerly* I'll be over with those guys, okay? When you're feeling better...you can come over.... Nice to meet you, Lisette. *smiles and then turns about to rejoin the others*

Taryn: *nods* Yeah, considerate of her. Still, I'd like to know what happens if she doesn't warn people, just to be safe. *peers at him sidelong, rubbing her hands together slowly to warm them* You...doing okay? I know it's a bit much all at once... But are you coping alright?

Garret: *sighs* Coping? I'm not sure I'm coping so much as just being too distracted and scared to focus on any one thing for more than a few seconds at a time. But you have permission to slap me if I get hysterical. *shifts glance to Ira* Just you though, I still don't want him touching me ever again.

Lisette: *stays in the corner sobbing occasionally, but the glow doesn't get any brighter once Ira backs off*

Ira: *Rejoins them just in time to hear Garret's comment* Hey, I said I'm sorry. I didn't mean to, honest. I promise I wouldn't ever try to do that to one of you guys without permission.

Taryn: *blinks at him and then at Garret* What...exactly happened? It looked like you guys...melted together or something.

Garret: Yeah, I know, but it creeped me out something fierce. Stick to your promise and I won't mention it again. Deal?

Lisette: *not glowing anymore, or sobbing, but she's not coming any closer either* Excuse me... I told you my name... do any of you have names? *knows it's a dumb question, but doesn't care*

Ira: Oh, hey, how rude o' me! *calls over with a big ape-arm wave and an equally huge grin* I'm Ira! Ira Belande!

Taryn: *peers over at her curiously* I'm Taryn Goswyn. You said your name was Lisette, right? Are you alright now?

Garret: *blinks* Garret. Garret Carlyle. *waits to hear Lisette’s answer to Taryn's question.*

Lisette: *half shakes her head, half nods* No, I'm not alright, but I'm calming down some. *still hugging her knees*

Ira: Anything I can do to help? I mean, I don't have much at my disposal in this place, but if there's anything I can do, you let me know okay, Lisette? *shifts his balance and rocks back on his sneakered heels*

Taryn: Well, take your time, Lisette. There's no rush. *shoots a glance at Ira meaningfully* So, what are we going to do?

Lisette: *shakes her head to Ira* Do you know why we're here? Or where here is? *looks to Taryn* Thank you.

Garret: *shrugs* There has to be a way out, otherwise what is the point of this warehouse? Ira said he couldn't reach the skylight, but maybe if we shift a crate or two, and one of us gives another a boost, we might be able to at least see out.

Ira: My guess is that we're all here because we all have powers of some sort, but I don't know why we've been brought here. You'd think if someone was trying to collect supers they'd be here waiting, you know? But so far it's just us four. And I'm not sure where the Warehouse is. But all of us *gestures to himself and Taryn and Garret* are from totally different cities, so we could be anywhere.

Taryn: *nods along with Ira's speech* It's true. *looks to Garret in evaluation* Well, you're clearly the strongest of the bunch of us. Do you think you could hold both Ira's and my weight? *looks at Ira* And no melting into me either! I don't have any shoes to protect my feet from you.
Garret: *shrugs* I don't know, but if it'll give us some more info on our situation, I'll give it a shot. Here, help me shift the crate to under the skylight. *takes a corner of the crate to push it along the floor*

Lisette: Great! *her voice cracks a bit with stress, and the glow flickers for a second.* Ummm... can I help? *she asks tentatively standing up but staying where she is*

Ira: Do you have good eyes? I don't mind who's standing on my shoulders, so you girls can decide amongst yourselves. Nobody's afraid of heights are they? *smiles genially around at them all as he helps shift the crate*

Taryn: Come on over here and we'll figure out who'd be best to climb up on this human tower. *smiles in a friendly manner* Garret, you ready?

Garret: *after making sure the crate is positioned properly he climbs up onto it* Yeah, I guess so. Too bad one of you superheroes couldn't fly.

Lisette: *moves closer to the group* Good eyes? I guess. Afraid of heights? Not that I know of. *looks curious* Melting into someone?

Ira: *laughs easily and nods to Garret* Sadly, I'm short on my flying genes. *winks at Lisette and wiggles his fingers* that's my shtick. I sink under other people's skins... Sorta like possession, I guess. Only hopefully I'm not that creepy. *grins boyishly*

Taryn: Ira, your turn, climb up on Garret and careful about touching his skin, or whatever it is that makes your powers work. *turns to Lisette* would you rather steady the crate or climb up on Ira? *grins wryly at the sound of that sentence but doesn't bother to correct herself*

Garret: *steadies himself at the impending climbing upon him, and more so since it's Ira, but they have a deal, so he doesn't say a word* Okay, but I don't know how long I can hold one of you, let alone two, so if whomever is at the top can't open the skylight, try and get a look at whereabouts we could be.

Lisette: *looks at both men, then Taryn* Well, you look a little lighter than me, but you're also taller and probably a bit stronger. *takes a deep breath and swallows audibly* So, I'll climb, I guess. *she nods at Garret’s directions and waits for Ira to get settled*

Ira: *glances at Taryn* Uh, clothes don't make any bit of difference... it's the pull of someone. And Garret here's so damn charming, I just can't keep my hands off him. *quick to add on* Joking, joking! Okay, here I go! *grits his teeth and slowly lowers his hands to Garret's shoulders with obvious discomfort, then when he makes 'normal' contact he pulls himself up, setting one foot on Garret's shoulder and then the other, wobbling a little and wrenches his hands away, squatting on Garret's shoulders.* Sorry for the crotch to the face, man, nothing personal. Okay Lisette, take my hand... And Garret, if you can boost her up to me, it might be easier on you... *sweating a bit, his face drawn and the cheer in him strained from the pain of being this close to other people and resisting his natural pull.*

Taryn: *grips the crate by two sides and watches carefully, getting ready to try to catch someone if this precarious stack tumbles* Looking good you guys, I think we'll be able to reach it!

Garret: *grunts at the effort of keeping upright as Ira climbs and settles. He takes a second to make sure his feet are firmly planted, then motions for Lisette to come on up* Okay, I'll boost you to Ira, you know what to do.

Lisette: *climbs up onto the crate and looks up, having second thoughts but too late to back out now.* Yeah... try to open it or at least look around and take note of landmarks or something.

Garret: *boosts Lisette up to Ira*

Ira: *quashes a small squeal of pain in his throat so that it comes out as a creak as he clasps Lisette's little hand and pulls her up, gripping her waist to lift her up so she can get her knees on his shoulders, inconsiderable pain but determined to grin and bear it* Uh, let me know when you've gotten a look, yah?

Taryn: *peers up hopefully, waiting for any sort of word* You guys doing okay?

Garret: *grits his teeth bearing the weight of two upon his shoulders. His knees are already shaking* Please... hurry.

Lisette: *reaches the skylight but there is no latch or anything* No way to open it except maybe break it, and I can't do that without showering us in glass and hurting myself. *looks around as best she can* Just one more second...

Ira: *bracing her legs with his hands and feeling them starting to soften* I don't know how much longer I can keep from slipping into you, Lisette... So unless you want me inside you in a very personal way, you'd best look quick... *sweating with the effort something fierce now*

Taryn: What do you see? *craning her neck up*

Lisette: *takes one more look around* I see water... and a few other buildings. Nothing that really sticks out. *feels the tower of people wobble a little* Okay, let me down! *really didn't care for Ira's comment about being inside her in a very personal way*

Garret: *braces to help Lisette down when Ira passes her* Okay, unless you wanna make a dive for it, you'd better climb down quick, I'm not super strong here guys.

Ira: *half-passes her, half-slides her down to garret, then with an effort jumps off, landing off-balance and rolling to a stop on the dusty warehouse floor, curled up and in considerable pain still.* Oh god, that was not cool... That was NOT good for ol' Ira... *hands are visibly shaking*

Taryn: Water and some buildings... Well, I suppose that narrows it down somewhat. *peers over at Ira curiously* You're not goofing around are you? You really aren't okay, are you? *kneels down near him* Ira, hey...why didn't you say you couldn't do it? You git...

Lisette: *hops down from the crate* Waterfront maybe? So, I guess that means a coastal city somewhere. *sighs and pouts slightly* I'm sorry I couldn't see anything more helpful. *wonders if she should have tried to break the window*

Garret: *sits down on the edge of the crate, muscle weary* Ira? Are you alright? *looks to Lisette* Don't be sorry, at least we know something.

Ira: I'll be okay in a bit...just gimme a sec... *puffs and clasps his hands together to keep them from shaking, lying on his back and staring up at the ceiling*

Taryn: Did it look like industrial waterfront? Some sort of dockyard maybe? Ocean rather than lake? *smiles over to Garret* Thanks, Garret. We owe you one. *peers over at Ira, not really sure what she could do to help*

Garret: *still sitting on the edge of the crate, taking deep steadying breaths. The gill like appendages on his back flaring with each inhale, unbeknownst to him.* I don't have the strength to hold a bunch of people up there again. Not right now at least. Can anyone here think of a way to maybe break the glass at least?

Lisette: *still disappointed she didn't see more* It looked kind of run-down, but I don't know if it's industrial or not. It also looked like ocean or a really, really vast lake. I wish I could be more help. *shrugs at Garret* I don't know. Anyone have a power that could do it?

Ira: *sits up slowly, rubbing at his palms* Hey Garret, think you got the strength to throw someone up there? Or hey... if you can suck air in with those things... think you can blow out? Like a big breath, blowing candles out on a cake? *rubs his palms a little twitchily over his knees* Or.... Taryn, if your scales get really hard could you dig into the beam and climb up there? Or, Lisette... Uh, what exactly happens if you let yourself glow, eh? I'm afraid any skills I can offer are only to draw people closer and well... y'know. *shrugs and stands up*

Taryn: *looks down at her now normal skin and blinks* I... I dunno... I've never tried. I'd have to get really cold for that to work, anyway... *adjusts the collar of Ira's coat around her face thoughtfully*

Lisette: *to Ira* I explode... it's not pleasant. But from what I've pieced together when I've reformed, it's an explosion of light and sound not force. I doubt I do more than shake the window even if I was close enough to it.

Garret: *stands and looks around at the others, sadness and more than a little defeat showing on his face* Okay, so, apparently I have air-based abilities. I'm a pilot, so I know a bit about what air can do. Maybe if I know how to use my power, I could lift one of the crates and kind of throw it through the skylight. Problem is, I don't know how to control it. It only seems to happen when I'm annoyed. *looks to Ira and frowns*

Ira: *face lights up* Oh, hey now... you just gave me an idea... *starts sauntering closer to Garret, rubbing his hands together* I know you don't like me too much, Garret... but that miiiight just work in our favour, this time. *extends his hands forward with a sly grin growing over his lean face* So, just com'ere... You don't need to aim, just get huffy, and I'll do the rest...

Taryn: *watches him with a little alarm on her face* Ira...what are you trying to do? *warning note in her voice, and sidles closer to Lisette, just in case*

Lisette: *stands watching, starting to glow a little because she has no idea what Ira's doing*

Garret: What are you doing Ira? *backs up a little* Keep your hands to yourself man. I mean it. This isn't funny. *backs up a bit more, the air around him starting to circulate more* I know what you're trying to do... but I don't think it'll work the way you think.

Ira: Aw, cummon.... only one way to find out... *advances further, a pull starting to form between him and Garret in his excitement and focus* Aaaall you gotta do is start blowin' that wind about, I'll do all the puppeteering, just....trust....me.... *reaches out his hands, his fingers started to quake with the itch to sink in, a mere foot from Garret, his grin obscenely wide*

Taryn: Ira, you can't do this without his permission! Ira! *takes a step forward, unsure of what exactly she can do to stop him, and feeling the tension as she gets closer to Ira, falters in her step a little, feeling queasy* Ira...

Lisette: *glowing more brightly now, she retreats far from the others just in case she reaches critical mass, unable to keep her growing fear in check*

Garret: Listen to Taryn, Ira... Do not touch me! *backs up even more, not noticing Ira has herded him to under the skylight. The air around Garret is very tumultuous now* Stay back! *thrust his hands out and feels the air push Ira back. Panicking, he thrusts his hands back down to his sides and launches upwards into the skylight with a crash of broken glass. The winds die down as Garret's leg dangles over the edge of the skylight, the rest of him hidden from view on the rooftop*

No comments:

Post a Comment