Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Splitting Up (Wayward Saga)

Garret: Well, I think we need to find out where we are. *sighs* I think one or two of us should scout around a bit and see what they can find out. No sense is wandering aimlessly if we can avoid it. *looks at the others* I'll stay here. It'll probably be best. And no offense Taryn... but you kind of stand out so maybe Ira and Lisette?

Lisette: *nods* Yeah. Maybe we can find out where the closest clinic or hospital is. Anyone have any money? *she bites her lip in thought* Maybe we can get some clothes for Taryn too. At least footwear.

Ira: Money? *laughs before he can stop himself* Uh, that would be a no... I think I've got 17$ and 53 cents. *climbs down from the stack, having caught his breath again* But yeah, me'n the little lady can have a look 'round and hopefully find a map or transit or something.

Taryn: Uh... yeah... *stares down at her scaley toes, all rust and brown from the colour of the dirt* My feet don't hurt at all, these scales are better insulation than any shoes I've tried... but yeah... *colours again, hair tinging pink for a moment before fading back to brown* I stand out...

Garret: *reaches into his back pocket and pulls out his wallet. He opens it and pulls out some bills* All the hard cash I have on me amounts to... *counts it out* ...about forty-five bucks. *hands it to Lisette* It's yours if you can make use of it. Don't go too far guys, it won't help to get lost. Just try and figure out where we are and get the general lay of the land. *looks at his watch* What do you think? A half-hour or so, then back here?

Lisette: *takes the money* If I see anything, I'll try and stretch the money as far as I can. *looks over Taryn* Any particular style? And size? *looks back at Garret* Half-hour? Okay... I don't have a watch, but I think I can judge thirty minutes okay without one.

Ira: *checks his watch* Sure, half an hour and we'll meet back here. We'll make sure to stick together so we don't get lost. *smiles, obviously tired, but still in good spirits*

Taryn: Don't worry about clothes for me right now. We don't have enough money between us... If only I had my wallet, I'd be able to buy myself something, so just concentrate on finding out where we are, and medical attention, okay? *sits down on the tarp next to the 'TARDIS' and smiles bravely*

Lisette: *nods* Okay... location and medical treatment. *looks over Taryn and Garret* Me and Mr. Personal Magnetism will be back soon. *glances to Ira* Come on Ira. *smiles*

Ira: *grins back at Lisette* Adventure time! *starts narrating in a cheesy comic book style* And our two brave heroes, Glowing Gal and Mr. Personal Magnetism, head off into the dangers of a suburban wasteland... Who knows what they'll find... *marches off with a purpose in a random direction*

Garret: Good luck you two. *sits down on the crates Ira had stacked up* How are you doing Taryn? *looks at her with concern* I know this isn't easy with me being injured and all...

Taryn: *waves them off, chuckling despite herself and shaking her head, then sighs, stretching out her scaley toes. At garret's question she looks up* I'm okay... I mean, my head is reeling, still. This has been a little weirder than I thought possible. But, it -is- nice to know I'm not the only one who's...a little different. Like I can be myself again... *exhales and smiles shyly* Anyway, you've been a great help, you know. We couldn't have gotten out of that place without your... skills. So, thank you.

Garret: *nods his head along with what Taryn was saying* It's a lot weirder than I though possible too. Remember, I didn't even know I have any "powers". *sighs, it still gives him a mild panic attack to think of himself as a superpowered person* But as for getting you guys out of there. I guess I just had to use m head. *smiles and wiggles his eyebrows*

Taryn: *laughs at his comments* Yeah, your head saved the day! *sobers a little, thinking about it* For me, it's been two and bit years since this started. It was gradual at first, I actually went to my doctor at first, thought I had a skin condition... *smiles wanly* But, if Ira's theory has any merit - if someone somehow brought us together... Why were we picked? I mean, if you didn't even know you -had- powers, then it couldn't have been a case of watching us and figuring it out and picking us up one by one... Something else is going on here. And to wind up in a sealed warehouse? what's that supposed to mean? It doesn't make sense to me...

Garret: *nods* None of this makes much sense to me. I never asked for any of this, nor did I want it. But here I am. I guess we'll all just have to roll with it until we stumble upon the answers or find our way back home. *he sighs, his head still swimming a bit* Not that I don't care for the company, you know, just... this is outside my comfort zone.

Taryn: Comfort zone, mn? *thinks about this a little, and shrugs herself, snuggling into Ira's big coat* I did freelance journalism back home. I'm used to reporting on the weird stories, not...y'know, being a part of them. *glances at him side-long* But, I... I -am- glad to have met you. Too bad it wasn't under better circumstances. *pauses a moment, chosing her words carefully* When we get out of here, and home, then what? I mean...these abilities won't just go away. What do you think you'll do?

Garret: *shrugs yet again* Well, depending on how long it takes to get back home, I might not have a job waiting any longer. Or a home come to think of it. I suppose I'll just do my best to start again. *half smiles at Taryn* As for my powers... well... I don't know. I wish I did. I wish I had some foolproof plan or some grand idea, but I don't. I have no idea what I'll do. *he shakes his head and lowers his gaze to his feet* I'm pretty sure I'll wanna stay in touch with you all... and yes, Ira included. I hear he saved me.

Taryn: *reaches out and places a warm hand on Garret's arm* It's really nice to be able to talk to someone else like me... er, you know what I mean. *grins sheepishly* We'll be fine, you know. You might have to get that bump looked at, but... you're strong, you'll be fine. As for Ira... yeah... an unorthadox hero, but he did end up being pretty helpful, when it came down to it. I thought he was a bit of a flake, but I guess he's okay, all things told. *leans back against a crate and tucks her legs up under her*

Garret: *he smiles as Taryn places her hand on his arm. He lays his own hand upon hers and looks her in the eyes* Thank you Taryn. I know what you mean. *his expression changes slightly* There is something I've been meaning to say. *pause* I'm sorry. When we first met, I was really freaked out and I over-reacted a bit. I'm sorry if I offended you. You've been my rock since then, helping keep us all sane. *smiles again* I appreciate it a lot.

Taryn: *smiles at the human contact, something she hasn't had a lot of in recent months* It's alright... I mean, what with circumstances... and my...well, my scales. I know they aren't very pretty to look at. Still, it's what's inside that counts, I think... I'm not offended and certainly not upset. For what it's worth, I think your...gill-things are really amazing. *smiles again*

Garret: *actually blushes* And forgiving too? Taryn, you're a saint. *he winks and chuckles* Truthfully, now that I've gotten over the initial shock, I think the scales are kind of... pretty. *he visibly weakens a bit and slumps ever so slightly, though he does give her hand a slight squeeze* As for my gill-things, I have no idea what they look like, but if you think they're cool, I guess I have to take your word for it.

Taryn: *laughs* Are you kidding? I finally find other people as different as me, you think I'm going to sabotage that because they were shocked at first? Don't be silly. *gently punches at his shoulder, but goes literally scarlet at his next comment* Er, you're making me go colours again... *clears her throat* They're... sort of like fingers, like rigid anenome cilia, they flare and have a sort of pearlescent shine to them. If I had my camera I'd take a picture for you. *laughs lightly*

Garret: I'd settle for a mirror and the ability to turn my head without nearly passing out. *he said it like a joke, but it strikes a little too close to true* I wonder if they've found anything yet? *changing the subject to avoid killing the mood further with his injury*

Taryn: *concentrates on filtering the scarlet out of her hair and scales and doesn't make comment on his injury, but instead squeezes his hand* I sure hope so. I mean, to be fair, it's a tough task. We've got nothing to go on, and no idea what's out there. I just hope there aren't patrol dogs. I hate dogs. *shudders and frowns a little*

Garret: I know. I hate not knowing. It bothers me plenty. *he sighs and smiles warmly again* At least the company is good. So I can't complain too much. I just wish I was in the air. *twists his face awkwardly* Not using my powers... in my helicopter. *looks around again, to see if anyone is returning yet* Not a dog lover huh? Cat person then?

Taryn: Helicopter? Wow, I'm impressed. My newsie friends tell me they're tougher to fly than planes. *smiles back warmly and shifts a little closer to him and gets comfortable* Uh, no, actually. I've never been a fan of anything that could get under my feet. I used to have fish, but they're hard to play with, so a few months back I got myself a bearded dragon. His name is Soloman. *laughs*

Garret: Yeah, they can be. Planes you point in one direction and go, pretty much, but a helicopter can move in all sorts of directions and hover. You need to make more corrections when flying one. *as she shuffles a bit closer, he moves his hand from off of hers and wraps it around her shoulder* Are you cold still? *smiles as she talks about her pet* I'm not surprised you like scaly pets. *laughs*

Taryn: *nods, burrowing into the coat a bit* Yeah, a little. I wish I had pants instead of your t-shirt-skirt, I gotta say. *chuckles and gratefully snuggles into his arm* I never used to like scaley pets, really. I used to think they were creepy. But, hey, I learned to appreciate them pretty fast. Did you know that their young is pretty much never raised by the parents, but grows up on its own, fending for itself? I find that very brave. I've tried to take a few cues in the last couple years from that. I think it's the only reason I didn't totally lose it when all this *wiggles her fingers, faintly scaled and clawed still* started happening.

Garret: *gives Taryn a hug-squeeze* That's pretty cool. So... *pauses, trying to think of a good way to ask this* ...does that mean you don't have any family, friends... boyfriend, missing you back home? *glances at his watch again, avoiding eye contact again*

Taryn: Well, I have co-workers, but being correspondance, I don't usually have to see them in person, y'know? As for my family... My mom and I don't talk much. She divorced my dad years back and moved us half-way across the country, my little brother and me. We never really forgave her. Dad got together with some new woman and started a new family that we aren't part of. I kinda...shut my friends out when this happened - it was too hard to trust them, to try to explain. So, it's been just me n' Soloman for a while now. I kind of joke that Sol's my man...but no... Haven't found anyone brave enough yet to handle a lizard girlfriend. *sighs and shuts her eyes, a little nervous for some reason*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lisette: *chuckles despite herself and gives Ira a little punch to the shoulder* Glowing Gal? *walks off in the direction he's going as well* Sometimes I wonder about your sanity Ira. *still chuckling, though it trails off the further they get from Garret and Taryn* I'm following you.

Ira: Sanity? *ponders this* I'm plenty sane... I'm just a hopeless nerd, that's all. My ma always says I never grew up. *shrugs* If you're following me...then I say.... *looks about and notices another security cam* I say we go this way... *turns right down an aisle of storage containers*

Lisette: *following Ira but not trying to look like she's completely freaked out and lost. Just in case they bump into someone, she doesn't want to give them the wrong impression right off the start* So, are we looking to talk to people? Or just find a phone booth or something to tell us where we are first?

Ira: Uh... I hadn't really planned that far ahead. Let's see... *scratches at his sideburns* In the Adventures of the Mysterious Five they usually send Raven out to scout, with The Cloak shielding her from a covered area. She observes and then steals back to the rendevous point with gathered intelligence... But, *grins over his shoulder at Lisette* Seeing as neither of us can slip into shadow and fly and such, my game plan is to maybe find a sign, or a map, or a phone booth like you said. If we find someone else first, we can try to ask questions... but... *shrugs and gestures to the containment boxes around them* I somehow don't think we'd be welcome guests in a place like this. Best to be cautious, yeah? What do you think?

Lisette: *nods* You're right. Something tells me finding someone around here might raise more questions than we have answers for. Especially since we have no idea where we are. *keeps up to Ira, eyes peeled* Okay, so we're looking for maps, transit schedules, a discarded newspaper, something.

Ira: *grins and salutes* You gottit, Firecracker! *winks* Now, stay close and quiet and let's do this as quickly as we can - afterall, we said we'd meet them back there in a half-hour, and *glances at his watch* we've burned ten minutes already. *hunches up into his shoulders to try and lessen his height a bit and sneaks forward, glancing around a containment block and whispers back to her* Let's try going right...

Lisette: *glances at Ira as he hunches up and shakes her head* Stop being suspicious looking. You're gonna draw attention to us. *she may have been a meter maid before all of this started, but it was enough of a authority figure to get used to people trying to be deceptive* Right eh? *looks both right and left, seeing no real significant difference* Alright, but lets hurry. Like you said, we're running late as it is. We still have to get back as well.

Ira: Me, suspicious? *raises a comical eyebrow and stands upright again wiggling his fingers* But, I'm spooky ol' Ira, remember? I'm always the suspect. Anyhoo... *strides forward, glancing around for a poster or a newspaper or something with text on it* You see anything?

Lisette: *looks around, but doesn't see anything immediately* Nope. do you see anything?

Ira: *peers around a container on their left* Aha! lookee here... *points ahead and down a wider gap, possibly a dirt loading road* There's a fence down that way and a building behind it - probably the business end of this place. Lotsa cameras though... What'd you think? *chews his lip in thought and excitement*

Lisette: *looks to where Ira is talking about* Well... we've been on camera ever since we got off the roof, so they don't bother me anymore. *looks around at the other options* And it doesn't seem we have a whole lot of other options. We don't have time to screw around too much. I say we take our chances on the other side of the fence.

Ira: Oooh! The sparkly one has guts! I'm impressed, Lisette! Well then, you don't gotta convince me none, let's go! *and without further warning goes bolting off towards the gate, surprisingly fast for a skinny nerd, and leaps up at the chain link fence, grabbing it some seven feet off the ground and scrambles up and over with zero grace, but fairly good efficiency and drops down on the other side. He calls back to her* We are now, officially, tresspassing. I'm gonna head up to the building! *turns and takes off again*

Lisette: *stands there wide eyed for a half second as Ira runs off impulsively. She makes mental note to blow him up sometime. Just a little.* Ira! *she calls somewhere between a whisper and a shout then bolts off after him. It takes her longer to climb the fence, but she makes it to the other side, then hunts for Ira again* Ira? Where did you go you...

Ira: *ahead of her and out of sight, but not out of earshot, calls out to her* Over this way... Something's weird about this place, though, I gotta say... *the tone in his voice is a far cry from his usually light and jesting manner, and there at his feet is a guard - standard security type uniform, an empty holster and swollen wounds on his neck and collar*

Lisette: *follows the sound of Ira's voice, to find him and the downed guard* What did you do? *looks from the guard to Ira and back* And why?

Ira: Oh, hey now... This weren't me! *holds up his hands* I don't make lesions! *frowns back down at the guard* Though that means there's someone else here with this guy's gun. I don't like it. *squats suddenly* here, help me rifle his pockets, maybe he's got a wallet - driver's license or sommat...

Lisette: *looks around worried* Oh god... this just keeps getting worse. *starts to glow a bit, but bends to help Ira search the body* Is... is he dead?

Ira: I... I dunno. I'm no good with first aid stuffs, that seems to be Taryn's schtick. Whatever the case, let's do this quick and get out of here before someone get's the wrong idea... *finds a few coins, some keys and a pager and holds them out* What'd you get?

Lisette: *stops her searching and holds up what she found* I've got a Starbucks card and some hand sanitizer. No wallet. No I.D. At least none that I can find. *looks up and around* Don't guards usually work in pairs at least? Where is his partner? And what are they protecting?

Ira: Starbucks? Man, this guy has no taste at all. *offers a wry smile* Maybe whoever got the gun took the wallet too. With the coins left, I'd say whoever it was wasn't interested in rolling the guy... I mean, he's still got his watch and stuff. Maybe it was someone like us - teleported here and no idea where he is, eh? As for a partner... I haven't felt anyone else yet. *glances at her meaningfully* So, this one's a bust. We still don't know where we are. Suggestions?

Lisette: *frowns* How much time do we have left?

Ira: *glances at his watch* About 14 minutes left. You wanna head back and tell them what we found and I'll keep looking, or...? *stands up all of a sudden, turning to look the other way* Someone's coming. What do we do?

Lisette: *she started to ponder going back as Ira stayed and scouted more, until his revelation that someone was coming* Shit! *looks around for a place to hide, but she is still glowing a little as well* Umm... *doesn't like what she's thinking of doing, but desperate times* Hide! I'll distract whomever it is... then you get the drop on them. Don't hurt him... just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment