Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Distant Star - Log 05 - The Library

Distant Star - Log 05 - The Library

Jack let out a husky cackle of amused laughter and cleared his throat, pointing towards the doorway they passed through. "The Key of Troves leads to wherever I choose it to lead, you see. Each of the doors in my Brig lead to other buildings, places, and in some cases times..." He trailed off sobering for but a moment, but swallowed and looked back at her swiftly. "I had forgotten that if might not bridge the tear by which I came to be here. I am rather glad it does. Otherwise, who knows what would have happened when we stepped through that door. I suppose we'd have stepped into the dreary and boring storage closet that was here originally." He pondered this for a moment and then shrugged. "But to the matter at hand! Would you like to come with me for a spell?" He asked, an inquisitive and open expression on his lean face.

"I find it hard to believe that none of this is magic..." She replied, looking around again, that sparkle of wonder still bright in her eyes, "One door that opens to many places, a place in space and another dimension... How does it work?" Viira seemed honestly intrigued by the question, then looked back to him, "Does it do that often? Not work, that is." Pursing her lips she eyed him, wondering if she ought to be worried about being stranded on a floating rock in the middle of nowhere. At his question, she burst into a broad smile and nodded, "I would, actually. When else would I get a chance to sail the stars with fascinating company? You said you'd show me wonders, I would like to see them." She quirked a brow, "'Course, there's the matter of freeing you from my world first, right?"

"I never said it wasn't magic..." Jack replied slyly. "But if it is, I am not the magician. I am merely an operator of delicate tools. The Key of Troves was crafted by the Mystics, but which clan isn't exactly clear. From its uses, I would assume it was designed for them to be able to travel between their moons without so much wastage of energy. Perhaps something employed by their council members..." Jack mused aloud and shrugged. "How it works is trickier. All of the Mystic arts use Aether as their guide and sometimes power source. The Key of Troves is more a matter of connection. You put the key into the space you wish the door to start, and then you put it into the place you wish it to end. It can bind together any number of places - and I am sure, before it came into my possession, it formed doorways out there that none know of any longer..." He cast her a mysterious glance and grinned slightly. "But for me, it always works - hence why I had not thought to consider it might not now that I am so far from my universe." At her agreement to journey with him he quirked an eyebrow and gestured about. "This is not wonder enough for you? Standing in the nothingness and breathing of manufactured atmosphere? Under the glitter and shadow of a Horse that makes all we stand on invisible? If another dimension, in another universe, through a door that leads across space itself? Madame, you must enlighten me further on what it is you find wondrous if I am to be the 'fascinating company' you desire." Jack replied smoothly, the cadence of court rising a little in his diction despite the long years of disuse. "There is the matter of our departure, of course. I will need to also plot a way to bring you back here without relying on a highly unlikely repeat of the Round Coin's whimsy." He paused, sobering suddenly and, though still standing tall, regained the darkness to his eyes. "There is one other matter - that of the rules on my ship. If you are to come with me, you must abide by them, or you will instantly forfeit my hospitality, understood?"

"Mm..." She replied thoughtfully, "Have you tried to look for those old connections? They could lead to interesting places..." Viira didn't question his ability to use the key - while he might, the likelihood she could was next to nil as she lacked the magical touch others might have. She laughed as he summed the environment up and nodded, "It is wondrous enough indeed, my friend. And should plans fall through, you can bet your boots I will remember this. Really... I've known only the sea and shores all my life. Rivers, plains... mountains - those are things I'd like to see but distance has made impossible. And that crystal moon, that sounds marvelous." Viira cast him a curious look and chuckled, "Keep in mind star farer that I know wind and water and sails, not stardust and floating rocks. I will enjoy whatever you show me, and learn, hopefully." When he sobered, she stood and little more formally, the stance of a captain, or officer, familiar enough to her to inspire similar formality in kind, "I won't agree until I've heard them out, but if they are reasonable I will agree. You are captain of this vessel, Jack, and I know all too well how the laws can save or doom a life. Speak them, then."

"I can - and will, grant you - show you all the plains and mountains and rivers to fill a hundred thousand hearts. But I hope too to show you of beauty and mystery so profound that even in my two-hundred years I have not yet for words or explanations for it." He breathed deeply and looked out at the stars for a moment of silence. "I learn, every day I am bound here, I learn. It is all I have left to clasp my sanity to my breast - that search for knowledge in the hopes..." He trailed off and slowly shook his head. "Foolish dreams are not the topic of here and now." He turned back to her and very clearly began to enunciate his rules. "Firstly: I am no captain. That has never been my title, nor will it ever be. The Good Ship Ptarmigan is registered truly as my home and I her lord and Master, as of any land-bound estate. The Rules of the Ship are to ensure her and my safety. If that of either ever comes into question by your hand, I will not hesitate to kill you." There was no threat in this, merely empty fact. His grey eyes took on the coldness of stone as he said it. "Rule No. One: Under no circumstances may you tamper with the Good Ship Ptarmigan in any part or working. Rule No Two: Under no circumstances may you set coordinates or pilot this ship without my express permission - which includes any form of contact with the Navigation Chamber. Rule No. Three: Anything you learn about the Ship either through explanation, study or observation, may not - under any circumstances including death - be divulged to any outside party for any reason. Rule No. Four: Nothing may be removed from the Good Ship without my express permission. Likewise, nothing may be brought on without being scanned at the threshold, and absolutely no invited guest unless with my accord. The theft and or sabotage of anything on this ship will be assumed to be by your leave unless proven otherwise." He paused, blinking and refocusing on her face. "Is that all to your agreement, Viira?"

She listened with interest to start, then sobered as he rattled off the rules and conditions of the vessel. Viira pursed her lips at the narrow frame of curiosity the rules allowed, and noted that her own safety was never once mentioned. Part of her was irked and part of her understood... recognizing the rules as protective barriers arranged for him. It was a sobering reminder of the past that caused countless souls to want him dead or manipulated or something else. She met his gaze as he spoke, then held up two gloved fingers at his inquiry, "I have two questions. You've spoken terms of safety for you and yours but nothing of mine, am I easily expendable company then? I would rather know now so as to judge future circumstances appropriately. Secondly, to clarify. I am held guilty for everything that might go wrong on default? Again, I would rather know then not - as the penalty for guilt appears to be death by your hand. Additionally, I assume you'll show me how the appropriate features work less my ignorance be claimed at tampering, and convenient excuse for my death? And finally, should danger arise or we step into a dangerous situation, you will tell me in advance that such is the circumstance and tell me how I might face such things? Your universe is not mine, Jack, and I am aware it is like an infant stepping into the court of the High King. I do not justify ignorance but you place such emphasis on a lack thereof and yet provide no guarantee of dispelling such a flaw." She sighed, "I do not expect you to trust me fully, Jack, but on my word and honour as Captain of Stormseed, I will not jeopardize your ship. As for your rules, answer my questions and I may agree. I do not walk into such binding contracts blind, I hope you understand."

Jack nodded crisply at her. "The terms are for the safety of my ship, and my treasures, yes. I cannot die, Viira, and so I have stepped into things others may have claimed foolish in order to do that which I feel must be done under certain circumstances. Understand I have been set as some sort of guardian of these things that were deemed dangerous to be placed in the wrong hands. At the slightest chance that their security has been compromised, I am sworn to do all in my power to neutralize any threat." He paused, and the hard lines of his face softened a little as he relaxed somewhat. "As for my own self, I have invited you aboard my home, and I take personal responsibility for your safety. I have a great deal of tools and skills at my disposal. Those that I can offer will be in the effort to keep you safe. I intend to return you to your ship a little breathless from the adventure, but in hale and sane state. That said, I am under the impression that you are capable in combat and quick in facilities of mind and body. I would assume you would do all in your power to defend yourself, and I should like to state now that I would prefer that you did not wait until I came to the rescue in order to maintain your own welfare." He grinned fully then and offered a quick flash of a wink. "As for the second matter: I will do all I can to inform you of situations before charging into them - but understand, the unforeseen always finds a way to arise. Also understand, that these things are normal to me, are second-nature, are commonplace - even that which may be strange to less travelled citizens of Terrene in my own universe. I cannot know what will or will not be foreign to you - as proved in your reaction to standing here." He paused, looking up at the Mirror Horse. "Feel free to ask any and all questions you require in order to find footing or to satisfy curiosity. I am not one to forbid an attempt to understand or to learn. I would just prefer it be done from the pages of my library or the knowledge I have myself learnt. If ever you ask something I am bound to not answer, I will tell you as much so that you will know it is not of my own will that you are barred. My ship does not malfunction unless she is sick or impaired from her duties by an outside force. She can speak of who has harmed her, Viira. She will tell me rather promptly if you are innocent. Do not fear that I shall find cause to wrongly accuse you. Do my answers satisfy you at this juncture?" He asked, and the question was honest, curious in its own right. This was clearly not a man who wished to shy away from discourse with her, nor a man who - despite his iron rules - wished to exclude her.

Viira nodded to his opening, "You've told me your story, you needn't justify the rules. I am not so slow as to miss the importance of these marvels." She frowned slightly, it didn't take a genius to realize even his simple presence and the concepts behind the mundane things of his ship could prove unbalancing to a world untouched by technology. That his Treasures could unbalance whole universes was not so great a leap, given the tales he'd told already. She smiled at that, "I am indeed capable of holding my own in combat and am hardly a youthful, hapless maiden. I asked my questions simply to know if I might rely on you to watch my back. Now that I know where that line, of support and abandonment lies, I can better gauge when I become the danger you must avoid. I represent a liability and a great risk to you. As I said, I will do my upmost to avoid endangering you or the ship and its Treasures." She laughed, "Perhaps, for the first while, it would be safest to assume that everything is foreign to me. I learn quickly, however, so I doubt I'll be a burden for too long. And telling me the location of your library would be a grand start." His words had soothed her and while it was still hard for Viira to swallow that she was so very expendable, she did so nonetheless - to allow her pride to override her understanding would mark her too unreliable for the gift he was presenting her. He saw a larger picture then she did, answered to higher powers then she did, and it was something she could not help but respect. The weight of responsibility upon his shoulders was a heavy one. When she nodded, there was a formality to it and she swept into a regal bow, "I give you my word, Jack, that I will observe your rules and that I will understand the consequences should circumstances endanger you or yours." Really, it was all she could offer in the advent of such a thing - that she would not hate him if had to make a choice. Sometimes such choices had to be made.

Jack was silent for a moment, scanning her face for truth, for honesty, for steadfastness to word and honour. He found signs of each and broke into a broad smile. "Then to you the question falls: What next? I can continue the tour of the ship now, or we can return to the Stormseed so that you may make arrangements for your leave and I can make arrangements to refuel my vessel. The choice is yours." He paused for a moment, and then added, rather awkwardly. "I...am grateful to your curious spirit, Viira... And... And -glad- for your company. I sincerely hope that I - my ship, my universe, my world - can live up to your expectations."

She opened her mouth to reply then paused as he added the last, and smiled pleasantly catching his hand and giving it a squeeze as she shook it, "I've no doubt it will. I did not wake this morning expecting to find a spaceman in my waters, and yet here we are. Hopefully I prove to be worth the trouble." Winking she turned back towards the entrance, assuming that was where they were going and shook her head, wearing a wry smile, "It's good to know men don't listen regardless of universe. I said your library would be a grand start - unless there is more in this place you would show me? And then we can retire to Stormseed and you can be a guest on my ship, and eat with the crew. I hope you don't mind a raucous bunch."

Jack pursed his mouth a little smarted that she had thought him not to be listening. "Not clear perhaps, but never cotton-eared, madam!" He replied with feigned wounded pride. "If you had chosen the option of more of the tour now, the Library would have been the next stop. I have lived too long to allow such open statements to slide so easily, I assure you." He replied with mock dourness and head held high he stepped back towards the door and with the Key of Troves in hand opened them back onto the landing in the Brig. He stretched out his shoulders and looked around. "Well then... This way..." He led back towards the ladder and made his way up to the top tier of the Brig and stepped out on a landing that had the dim golden cast of the light from the living quarters reflected down into the cavernous spaces of the hold. This door was a finely crafted door of solid wood, and into its lock he pressed the Key of Troves. With a click, he turned the handle and led them through into a massive three story room well-lit with chandeliers and wall sconces on every level. A spiral golden-gilt staircase wound up and around the room connecting the three levels and giving the interior of the room the impression of a giant conch shell. Plush velvet furniture in deep emerald greens and mahogany sat about on thick, rich carpets, high tables for beverages, lamps and resting books were arranged helpfully around the room. A two-level trolley similar to that Jack had presented his tea on sat underneath the free-standing staircase with a few books on it that had yet to be put away. He stepped in and was intrigued to find a fire burning in the hearth. "Autumn here, then." He murmured aloud, but mostly to himself. "The Library of Thistlewaite Estate." He declared in a grand voice to allow the sound to carry.

She laughed, "I would save some of the tour for when we depart, yes? Besides, we have been gone some time and I do recall requests for dinner being made when we left. I assume, of course, that you do enjoy a meal or two every now and again?" Viira teased, amused, as she followed him out and into the great library. It was vast and grand, unlike the libraries she knew. The sea air was not kind to scrolls and skins... to have such a wealth of books and knowledge... his comment drew her attention to the hearth and she blinked. Shaking her head, she grinned, "Should I assume we are in another place entirely from the ship once again? For being so tidy and small, she hides much space." Without waiting for his approval, she stepped forward and to one of the book cases, running her hands over the spines as she regarded the foreign text. Then she frowned. A library was all well and good but it knowledge was beyond her if she couldn't read it. Embarrassed by her lack of foresight, she turned to Jack, "It seems I am ahead of myself. I cannot read these."

"Believe me," He spoke quietly, "There will be ample left to show. And yes, I eat - quite a lot, it might surprise you. I must confess, I am not accustomed to ribald crews - you may have noticed, the Ptarmigan is blessfully free of them. But, if you invite me, I will bashfully accept." He watched her look around the room and smiled a little in admiration at his collection. He had had the third level added on a hundred years prior when his collection had grown too vast to house them all. "Yes, we are in the home where I was raised as a boy. That is to say - we are in Sphera, my nation on Terrene." When she stepped forward to touch the books be made no rebuke. What would be the point, after all, if he were to show her a library that she was not allowed to look at - let alone read – the contents of? Alas, it seemed his permission was not sufficient for her to glean the knowledge he had offered. "Ah... A moment... I believe I may be able to assist..." He reached hands deeply into his pockets, clearly searching for something... And then, after a moment he impossibly pulled forth a middle-sized book bound in some sort of soft, fuzzy membrane. "Here we are... Er, choose a book, any for demonstrations purpose, it doesn't matter the subject." And so saying he turned towards the nearest table and delicately laid the book he'd produced on its surface.

"I'll try to keep them in line then, but no guarantees." She laughed, "They're a good group, though, you'd be hard pressed to find better." At his proclamation, Viira shook her head, "So much for many days of travels to get here, hn? Does that key link you everywhere and it will be as simple and opening a door onto one wonder after another?" She was curious, really, to know if they were going to be doing any actual travelling, as it seemed as though everything could be just as easily accomplished from his ship. With both delighted and disappointed her. While he rummaged, she set about looking for a window, to peer out at another world. He called for a book, however, before she had the chance to do so. "Hn? Oh. You know... I'd like to know what you keep in your pockets, one day. It seems as though they're endless." She arched a brow as she selected a book from the shelf at random and handed it over to him. The elegant lettering and plain adornments made her think of something statelier and less a flight of fancy. It made her wonder what Spheran poetry might be like, or what sorts of things such a people might write about. "What does that do...?" She had a guess, but again, the how of it eluded her entirely.

"The Key of Troves," Jack declared with feigned imperiousness "Is connected only to my Troves. It is how I access my many, many possessions. You accumulate a lot after a few centuries, honestly. While we are -here-, the Ptarmigan is not. It is back on your Stormseed, and in order to do any amount of traveling - whether that be through air or aether, we will need to make the journey from the ship. The Troves are an easy way to keep the larder stocked and my wealth close at hand. I cannot very well have the Key take me to new and exciting adventure if it hasn't already been set to answer the other side of the door, now can I?" He asked with the kindly tone of a father, and grinned to further show his amusement. Bantering with her curiosity was very much a game he was enjoying, and the fact that she kept pace with him thus far made it a swift-paced game at that. He felt quickened - enlivened by it - already. "In my pockets? A very great deal, I assure you." He replied with a little bit of a laugh. "This is Fnellian's Tome. -Not- a Mystic artifact, for a change, actually." He grinned at her and accepted the book she offered. He gave a quick glance to the spine and then placed the book on the table and opened the front cover, turned the end pages and flipped past the table of contents until he reached the first page - a book done in neatly-rowed printing press lettering. Then he opened Fnellian's Tome and revealed that the book contained only two pages, made from what looked an absorbent, spongy, thick paper. He laid Fnellian's Tome down on top of the volume Viira had chosen and motioned for her to step forward. "Place your hands on the cover of Fnellian's Tome, as if you held it whilst reading. Then tell me what words appear..." He murmured.

"Does that mean you have the obligatory closet full of things you either don't need, don't want but haven't thrown away, or have no idea what to do with?" She quipped, entertained, "Does the key have a limit to the number of doors it connects, then? What happens if the limit is hit?" She likened it to a key ring - they could many many keys but you had to remove a key to add a key once it, eventually, was full. "Are the pockets artifacts as well? Or are you simply that magical?" She chuckled as she stepped forward to take the book as instructed, rather perplexed by the strange tome. What kind of paper was that? Or skin... though she doubted it was the latter. Hefting the book, she waited for the page to show something. And, after a moment, it did. She blinked as the words seemed to write themselves across the page in her own language, and she swore in surprise. "I thought you hadn't been to my world before.... how could you, or it... this whatever it is, know my language?" Her gaze didn't leave the page, however, as the words solidified and became legible, "It says: 'The Collected Plays, Shorts, and Works of Avarin Postlewain. An anthology of comedies, romances, and tragedies. Section one, Comedies.' And then it lists a half dozen plays I presume." She arched a brow as the list of romances appeared and glanced at Jack, amused, "Even here, it seems bawdy tales are means for entertainment. Are his..." she peered at the title again, "Plays, Shorts, and Works any good?"

"Oh, likely, likely," He smiled. "But then, if they are things I don't need, I doubt they'd be connected to my Key. Imagine how long it would take me to find anything if it were all in a jumble together." he chuckled to himself. "As for the limit that the Key can hold... I'm sure there must be one - but I've not reached it yet. After all, I am not its first owner, as I mentioned before." He shrugged and stuck his hands into his pockets. "As for these - they are merely two more locations the Key is set to. Disappointing answer, isn't it?" He flexed a self-critical brow. He fell silent as she lifted the layered books and he thumbed his lip as he watched her stare at the page. Saw the expression of recognition before her words were even spoken. He smiled a little as she began to read out the correct words. "I have not been here before, and neither has Fnellian's Tome. The thing itself is crafted of a lichen that grows on the gaseous floating continents of Selook. Fnellian, master wizard or alchemist, or whatever the old coot was, somehow managed to fashion an object from the membranes of the lichen in such a way as to keep it alive. It thrives off the stimulus of knowledge. Verbal visual, intellectual - anything containing the thoughts of the mind as transported through touch and vibration. So his ingenious Tome take the knowledge from you of what communication it understands, and connects that with whatever information it is touching, and voila, forms the fridge between them in order to absorb the energy generated by you learning. A sort of self-symbiotic creature. It will be quite sated to gorge itself in your hands, if you decide to borrow some of these books for a read. You just need to manually turn the page of the book, and replace Fnellian's Tome atop the new page." He paused and pursed his mouth thoughtfully. "Postlewain? His Comedies aren't very comedic, he was too tart a man to understand humour well enough to create his own. His romances are good enough, if not a bit repetitive. 'Abide no Love' is quite enjoyable, for one. Tragedy is where he really shone. He had a way of setting up these characters and events in such a way as they could not help but collapse in a splintering of loyalties and love. I still believe 'Handsomely Won Death' and 'Upon the Road to Perdition' are still two of the best ever written."

"Oooh..." She murmured, fascinated. Curious, she poked the spongy page as if expecting it to make a sound or move. "Can I borrow this...?" It seemed every time she turned around, something else left her awestruck. A lichen-book that fed on thoughts and translated alien texts... Viira set the fiction aside and looked around, "Do you have anything on cultures, customs, or combat tactics of various races?" She asked, her intent obvious. Start with the need-to-know and work out from there. "And is it alright if I take a volume or two to Stormseed?" As if to test the tome, she selected a book from the opposite bookcase and set the key on top, grinning like a girl as the words sprawled across the page and spoke of etiquette in some kind of royal court. Putting that volume back, she held the tome to her breast and smiled at Jack, it was light-hearted smile that spoke volumes to how much potential she saw in this place. Here there were stories and worlds distilled into compact guides she could devour. There was no doubt this would be a favoured place of hers - there was no pressure to be captain, no pressure lead, and no judgment should act less intimidating then her role demanded. The freedom left her bright-eyed and in a ridiculously good mood. This shore leave, she was certain, would refresh her entirely. Jack's sharp wit and quick tongue made for playful, intelligent banter and with the treasures that seemed endless she couldn't help but look forward to this. Then the moment passed and she inhaled, settling herself. She felt silly for being so caught up in something as simple as a library. And mildly irresponsible.... rebellious even. She grinned with mischief, "I don't suppose, however, you might teach me the language?"

"You may." Jack acceded. "Just promise me that you will not leave it lying about and will absolutely let no one else use Fnellian's Tome. With it, you may borrow as many books as you choose to sign out in the ledger." He gestured a massive leather-bound volume on a secretaire near a door opposite the staircase that led - presumably - to the rest of the mansion. He watched her move about, testing other books, the light of excitement giving the sturdy captain a nearly girlish appearance. He smiled softly to himself, a benevolent feeling softening the edges of frost on his heart for the first time in many long decades. He mentally made of point of admitting that he had stopped cursing the Round Coin and where it had taken him. After a moment's silent contemplation he stepped forward again. "Ah I can recommend a few, of course..." He moved swiftly to the secretaire where the ledger lay and from its cabinet shelves took out several huge volumes, each as large as the ledger itself, and setting them down on the pull-out ledge of the secretaire, began flipping through and making notes with ink and quill on some loose paper. After several long minutes, he stood back from his work and turned to her holding out the drying sheet. "Here. The shelves are marked. Here is a list of books that might interest you." The list he handed her contained the following titles: Aspion, 'Histories' Cymbalene the Songbird, 'Sagas of Enteria' Dauphid the Lesser, 'Customs of Conduct in Her Majesty Sphera's Court' Eltok Nirid, 'Advancements in Automeran Technologies' Gambellien Liorte, 'The Art of Conversation' Hotovek Triod Hespen, 'Medicine, Alchemy and the Healthy Body' Meriven, 'The History of the Galaxy Lords' Opala The Faire, 'A Collection of Treaties' Rassa Vene, 'A Dictionary of the Mystic Arts' Raynes the Royal Alchemist, 'Applications of Alchemy: studies, recipes and proposals for the enlightened mind' The Brass Duke, 'Theories of Aether Travel' Zhenti Ghoast, 'Speakbox Wisdoms: the Teachings of the Great Leveller'

"Oh! Thank-you." She set the tome on the page and read the list that appeared, noting which ones stood out to her the most. In particular the ones about technology and histories. With tome and list in hand, she set about looking for a few of the books with a serious look on her face. When she found one, Aspion's Histories, she smiled and then found the Brass Duke's book as well. It took her several minutes to find the two volumes, linking Jack's sigils with her own language and then back to the bookcases. Bringing them back, she wrote them out in the ledger and regarded Jack, "These two for now. And I'll not leave the tome lying around. I presume to put them back I must ask you get to get back here?" She spoke, already absorbed in the opening pages of the histories. After a moment, she looked up, "We should get back. Dinner's likely ready by now." She padded towards the door, waiting patiently for him to let them back out, already at ease with the setting and oddity of the circumstance. "Thank you Jack. And I apologize in advance for harassing you for access to this room on a regular basis."

"Yes, you will need me to get in and out. That is no problem at all. I would relish the opportunity to check in with you on what you have read and your opinions of that you had learned." He smiled and noted the two she'd chosen. He paused for a moment, and then, hesitantly, "You know... The Brass Duke is alive and well. If you would like, when we return to Terrene - I could introduce you, if you would like to ask him about his work. He helped build part of the Good Ship Ptarmigan, you know..." He escorted her to the door through which they had entered between two tall book cases with a gentlemanly air and opened the door for them both. "Let us back to your ship for now, and the promise of dinner."

"Deal. It'll give me something more to say then 'what's that' or 'amazing' as well." She replied wryly, bemused. Pondering his offer a moment, she nodded, "Perhaps when I’ve read his work, and understand it. I'd rather grasp the concept before seeking out the author in this case. Research and all that." She smiled as she stepped through the door, books braced against her hip as a mother might hold a child, and nodded, "For now, dinner."

No comments:

Post a Comment